The First Tee of Metropolitan New York is part of a national junior golf initiative (The First Tee) and was created in 2001 as a joint venture between the MGA Foundation and Metropolitan Section of the PGA to create affordable and accessible golf facilities and bring First Tee programming to young people from all backgrounds.
The First Tee of Metropolitan New York at Mosholu Golf Course was the first of what are now five junior training facilities and thirteen affiliate sites under The First Tee of Metropolitan New York umbrella and is the largest and most active First Tee operation in the country. The First Tee Junior Initiative has the following objectives:
- Improve the game's accessibility, making golf more available to people of all social strata, particularly children.
- Provide every child, regardless of race and economic background, the opportunity to learn and play golf.
- Teach children that dedication, sound values and education are keys to success.
- Develop greater self-esteem, civic responsibility and confidence in all participants to broaden their goals in life.
- Create employment and advanced educational opportunities for participants.
The First Tee of New York, Inc. is focused on the development of facilities and affiliate relationships throughout our region. Our goal is to be able to say that The First Tee is available in all neighborhoods.
The First Tee of Metropolitan New York Affiliate Locations are:
- Bay Park GC - East Rockaway, N.Y.
- Mohansic GC - Yorktown Heights, N.Y.
- Brooklyn Golf Center - Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Cantiague Park GC - Hicksville, N.Y.
- Oak Hills Park GC - Norwalk, CT
- Richter Park GC - Danbury, CT
- Francis Byrne GC - West Orange, N.J.
- Silvermine GC - Norwalk, Conn.
- Hendricks Field GC - Belleville, N.J.
- West Point GC - West Point, N.Y.
- Harlem Golf Academy - New York, N.Y.
- North Woodmere GC - North Woodmere, N.Y
- Christopher Morley Park GC - North Hills, N.Y.