6th MGA Senior Masters Heads to Bedford
Jay Blumenfeld is one of several competitors making their first appearance in the MGA Senior Masters Tournament.
ELMSFORD, N.Y. (September 14, 2017) – The 6th MGA Senior Masters Tournament heads to Bedford Golf & Tennis Club in Bedford, N.Y., on Tuesday, September 19, when the field of 70 amateurs aged 65 and over will compete for the title.
David Pilossoph of Bronx River broke through last year at Tuxedo for his first-ever MGA championship, besting the field by two strokes. This year, he’s aiming to match Ron Vannelli of Forsgate (2014-15) as the only other competitor to win the Senior Masters title in back-to-back years.
Past champions Bob Howe of Winged Foot (2012), Marty Winkelman of Glen Head (2013) and Vannelli are also eyeing a second title in the event, as all four of the past Senior Masters champions will be in the field. Vannelli and Howe both tied eighth in last year’s event.
Each year a new crop of competitors become eligible to compete. This year, two-time MGA Senior Amateur champion Jay Blumenfeld of Mountain Ridge is thrown into the mix as a top contender. Past MGA president and 2017 NYC Super Senior Amateur champion Steve Boyd of Baltusrol and 2010 NYC Senior Amateur champion John O’Malley of Forsgate are also among those making their first appearances.
Several competitors are back in the field again this year after quality finishes in 2016. This includes 1981 Met Amateur champion Peter Van Ingen who tied third at Tuxedo in his first appearance, Alan Finkelstein of Fresh Meadow who tied fifth in 2016. Though he didn’t compete in 2016, MGA eClub – NYC member Steve Rose is back in the field this year with a strong resume, having registered three top-five finishes in the event.
- 18 holes of stroke play
- 1:00 p.m. shotgun start
- Both gross & net prizes awarded
Bedford Golf & Tennis Club
- Club established in 1891, with its original 9-hole course opening in 1896
- Bedford is a founding member of the MGA
- Devereaux Emmet designed the current 18-hole layout which debuted in 1927
- Course is highlighted by its rolling terrain and elevation changes
- Bedford regularly hosts the MGA/MetLife Boys Championship, every three years
- 9 and 18-hole scoring updates
- Social Media: @MGA1897 on Twitter for updates through the day; additional content on Facebook and Instagram
- Scoring, recap, interviews, and photos on mgagolf.org